Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Solution: Grub issues in opensuse with dual boot(XP, Vista, Win7)

Most annoying issue with dual boot is grub error. Some issues which mean to be grub issues are listed below:
1- Didn't show the grub boot menu.
2- Can only boot to one OS at a time(No choice to choose).
3- The most annoying one is:
- Operating system not found.
4- Grub loading, please wait...
- Error 15

I always do simple grub installation after dual installation, OR after changing the bootloader entries. But that depends if i got into trouble with it.

If you are facing such issues, hope this will help you out.

1- Boot your pc from a live CD.
2- After booting, open konsole(terminal) and became root by:
su -

3- Type:
grub

4- Type:
find /boot/grub/menu.lst

5- Note this line there : (hd0,4)
It may be different for your system.
6- Now type this by using this from above (hd0,4):
root (hd0,4)

7- Type:
setup (hd0)

8- Type
quit

9- Reboot your system
reboot


After restart your boot menu will be there with multiple entries.

Last updated: 30-08-2010


ANL

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very helpful. I didn't have to boot through a live cd though. I booted from the hard disk the opensuse installer and updated (not reinstalled) opensuse. Then i ran the commands from this guide in terminal and when i rebooted i could choose to boot opensuse. Thanks a lot ;)

M M Arif said...

Glad to hear that this solution helped you.
Cheers

Unknown said...

thanks a lot, Yow just saved my day, Cheers.... :-)

M M Arif said...

Glad to hear that Jesse.
ANL4U

sirpecangum said...

Thanks!

Casperius said...

Thanks, it really helped me, only that I've used 11.4 opensuse rescue system instead of normal live cd.

Unknown said...

Legend! Thanks bud! As with Casperius, the "Rescue System" was enough to get me to command prompt. Cheers

Nick said...

Thanks, but when I type "find /boot/grub/menu.lst" I get Error 15: File not found"...What do I do now? (I have OpenSUSE 11.3)

Gawan said...

Perfect!
Thank very much.

Dave F said...

Wonderful; thanks so much for your help! :)

Anonymous said...

find /boot/grub/menu.lst

(Error 15 file not found)

Can someone help